On screen, Sophie Chowdhary does the sexy act quite effortlessly. And nobody knows it better than her.
Even in her next movie Daddy Cool, in which she plays a struggling model, hers is the only glam act in an otherwise sober picture.Directed by Indu Kumar (Beta, Dil), DC is a comedy riot, and among other things, Sophie makes a bikini appearance.“My character is ambitious, sweet talks to get things done her way and knows what she wants. I think I have handled comedy well,” chortles Sophie.Is she anything like that in real life?
-----------“No way, I am completely disconnected from the character.I am not like that at all,” she sounds shocked.There is also Sanjay Gupta’s Alibaug, a human drama, where she is Nisha, a psychiatrist. “It’s the comfort level with those I work that matters most. This helps me to contribute well as an actor. Also scripts matter,” she says, citing the example of Sanjay Gupta and Sanjay Dutt with whom she shares a great camaraderie.
More than her movies, it’s the singer and VJ who’s struck a chord with the viewers. Except for her Pyaar Ka Side Effects and Masti temptress act, her Bollywood outing has been unremarkable.It’s strange as to how she always gets roped into essaying glamourbased stereotypes. “Unfortunately there is this preconceived notion in the industry that if you are glamorous, you can’t be emotional.That’s really stupid. But in my case I guess I was already coming with a glamour image. But I would like to eventually break this persona and even do parallel cinema,” she states.Sophie recently made her theatre debut with 1-888-dial-India in which she plays six characters, ranging from a 13-year-old nun to a financial consultant. “I love being on stage, it’s a brilliant experience,” she enthuses, adding that she is currently working on her new album.
For someone who has had a successful stint as a VJ, she admits that the idea no longer excites her.“My priorities have changed. Especially after this tacky reality show business,” she says.“Earlier, VJs had faces, now they are just nameless aspirants straight out of a reality show. Today you don’t even know half the VJs,” she tells me. Glamorous and straightlaced, that’s Sophie for you.












